Black Friday 2011 is almost here. That means that Cyber Monday 2011 is right on its’ heels! While we always try to promote safe internet shopping, we think you should be extra careful hitting the ‘Submit Order’ buttons during the all too-tempting Cyber Monday sales.
- Shop trustworthy websites. If a store sounds shady, it is worth the extra time and effort to check them out. Search for their name on Amazon and see if they have a seller rating. Is their website clean and efficient or thrown together and hard to maneuver? That is another huge red flag- reliable sites usually LOOK reliable. Keep that in mind before pulling the trigger on a purchase.
- Protect your personal information. Again, if the site is not secure, or just looks plain sketchy- don’t give them your personal information. This really speaks for itself.
- Beware of deals that sound TOO great. A Black Friday travel deal that boasts a Bahamas Vacation for $200 is probably too good to be true. Some of these sites will lead with promises of huge deals, but when you get into the fine print, you end up spending thousands. Always, ALWAYS read the fine print if a deal sounds too good to be true, its worth the extra effort to avoid finding out the hard way.
- Confirm that your purchase is secure. When you start the checkout process, look at the URL. Most trusted sites start with https. This means that the transactions will be secure. While this is not a foolproof method, it is a great way to quickly check whether or not your information will be secure.
- Pay with a credit card. Credit card fees can be disputed. If the company you purchased from turns out to be fraudulent, you have the right to dispute the charges.
- Keep all records and confirmations. This should go without saying. Always print your confirmation numbers and receipts. Or take a screen shot and save it to your computer. The best way to dispute issues is with evidence. If you have the paperwork to prove things, you’ll feel more secure.
For more tips and updates about Cyber Monday, subscribe to our daily newsletter and get the hottest news delivered to you every day! Also, be sure to check us out on Facebook and follow @cybermondayfans on Twitter.